I work with busy, stressed women and men to ease tight, painful jaw muscles – because you’ve got better things to do than suffer.
Transform chronic pain into freedom
It breaks my heart to realize how many people suffer from chronic jaw pain for years, even decades. I’ve learned that many people have “normalized” their jaw pain and tension. It’s there, it’s constant, and it detracts from their quality of life. They live with it and are resigned about it. Sometimes it really drags them down and they seek help.
Maybe they’ve gone to various practitioners in search of help, that didn’t help or didn’t last. Maybe they’ve worn through mouth guards or found them so irritating, they quickly stopped using them. Maybe they’ve even had surgery.
Their dentist knows about their TMJ problems and of course wants to help — but did you know that studying the temporomandibular joint is not a required subject in dental school, and only 12 dental schools in the U.S. even offer a course in it? Mouth guards protect your teeth from damage from clenching and grinding, and that’s needed. I am grateful for dentists — and yet the vast majority of dentists specializes in teeth and gum disease, not TMJ disorders.
Massage therapy specializes in the soft tissues — muscles, fascia, tendons — and most of the time, muscle tension causes jaw pain.
Most people — including dentists and doctors — are unaware that a treatment program from a caring, licensed, board-certified massage therapist –– who is well-trained and experienced in intra-oral work –– can reduce and often eliminate jaw pain in a gentle, respectful, and holistic manner.
Here are some clear, simple choices for lasting relief from tension-related jaw pain:
- Start here: schedule a free 30-minute consultation to learn whether I can help you. We’ll discuss your jaw problems. I’ll evaluate you to see if you are a good candidate for the treatments I offer. No obligation, no pressure.
- If you’d like to experience a session, schedule a TMJ Relief session and see for yourself what it feels like for your jaw muscles to feel loose and spacious. Most of the time, the jaw will revert back to tension within a few days or weeks. It takes repetition and habit change to create more lasting results. If you’d like to experience lasting relief, sign up for the TMJ Relief Program to save $50 and schedule a second session for 3-4 days after the first, paying the balance when you return.
- If you know you want a series of sessions for lasting relief, the TMJ Relief Program is designed for you. You receive five 75-minute sessions within 4 weeks, plus self-care practices, and you save $50 over the cost of individual sessions. This program includes support for habit change, self-care tools, supplement suggestions, exercises, and more. If this timetable doesn’t work for you, let’s talk.
- You can always schedule single TMJ Relief sessions as needed. You will experience relief after each session.
What you experience in the TMJ Relief program
Most, but not all, jaw issues are caused by muscle tension, and the earlier treatment begins after onset, the better the outcome, because jaw dysfunction can become progressive, increasing your pain and dysfunction, damaging your teeth, jaw joints, cartilage, and connective tissue, potentially requiring surgery.
Even though one session provides relief, those newly-relaxed muscles often revert to painful tightness — because that’s what they’re used to. The TMJ Relief program is designed to retrain your system for lasting, long-term relief.
I integrate multiple modalities in the TMJ Relief program:
- I work on your whole body structure, because your posture affects your jaws — and better posture benefits your energy flow, breathing, movement, organ function, ability to detoxify, emotions, and attitude.
- I work to relieve the stress you hold in your body, releasing strain patterns that keep you stuck and helping your body’s systems work together more congruently.
- I work on your neck and external and internal jaw muscles to release tension, increase ease of movement, and reduce pain. Before I work in your mouth, I offer you CBD oil to reduce sensitivity, inflammation, anxiety. I work slowly and gently to make it as painless as possible.
- I assist your body to flush out toxins.
- I educate you in self-care practices that you can do at home to deepen the work.
These four weeks are an ideal time for you to work on transforming your habits into those that feel better — such as replacing daytime clenching with a relaxed jaw.
The best outcome is when you can commit to four weeks of excellent self-care while receiving your five sessions. This might include some of the following:
- adding yoga, Pilates, Alexander Technique, or meditation into your life
- taking regular Epsom salt baths to relax and nourish your nervous system with magnesium
- resolving stressful relationship or work problems
- going on an anti-inflammatory diet
You explore what’s doable in your life to get tangible results for your health and happiness. I’m here to support you.
How long will five TMJ sessions last? I wish I could predict that. There are many variables, including how long you’ve had jaw tension, how severe it is, whether you’ve had previous injuries such as whiplash, and whether you change the habits that create muscle tension. What you do during and after the series has a big impact on your outcome: transforming habits, practicing self-care, reducing stressors, relaxing deeply and frequently, and adapting to change are determined by your intention and commitment.
Five sessions result in a significant difference for most clients. Some never need another TMJ session, and some need TMJ Relief sessions only after major stress or prolonged dental work.
Here are a couple of testimonials:
Dr. Sue Muschett, DC, LMT, 8/20/18, writes: “I saw MaryAnn after literally trying everything I could think of for my facial and TMJ pain: my dentist, primary care doc, chiropractic neurologist, craniosacral practitioners, massage therapists and chiros galore, you name it! After one session with MaryAnn, I could open and close my mouth more easily, more completely, and with less awful crunching noises than ever before. It was surprisingly relaxing (I’ve had lots of excruciatingly painful work around that area, and was expecting more of the same), and she is very gentle and deliberate in her work, allowing you the time and space you need to relax. Her knowledge of the anatomy and biomechanics of the jaw and skull are tip-top, which is very impressive given the complexity of this area. After a second session, I have been virtually pain-free for over a month, and am no longer afraid of the deadly carrot stick at lunchtime! I cannot recommend MaryAnn highly enough, and am sending her all my TMJ patients from now on!”
See What People Are Saying for more feedback from TMJ clients.
If you’re not sure you’re ready, I started a Facebook group, Word of Mouth: Resources for Jaw Pain/Dysfunction, where people can share what helps them manage their jaw issues. I’d love for you to contribute! The group includes some educational units (click Units on the left sidebar) to aid in understanding the anatomy and self-care practices.